THE council has announced The Great Doorstep Switch On! – A Celebration of Illumination on Thursday, 3 December, 4pm-7.30pm.
It is set to be a fun, creative, festive way to bring the borough together, replacing the traditional in person Christmas light switch on with a stay at home festive celebration called The Great Doorstep Switch On!, where everyone gets involved and creative and also switches on their home lights at the same time.
For 2020, the usual magic and energy of the borough’s switch ons, is heading to residents’ homes – from Redcar to Brotton, Marske to Guisborough, Saltburn to Loftus – wherever you live in the borough and no matter how far apart we all are, you’re invited to celebrate the switch on of the Christmas lights and to countdown together virtually online.
Councillor Wayne Davies, Cabinet Member for Economic Development, said: “This is a chance for all us all to come together and spread a little bit of extra Christmas magic. It’s a shame that we can’t hold a traditional switch on lights ceremony – but that’s not going to stop us here in Redcar and Cleveland. We want everyone to get involved, so get those decorations out, get the treats ready, get dressed up and we’ll all switch our lights on at the same time!”
This year Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council had been planning on an exciting new programme for the annual Redcar Christmas Light Switch On including a piece of large scale community participation but due to Covid restrictions they needed to think differently and create an alternative light switch. Working with the support of local event producers Stellar Projects the Council brings to the borough the Great Doorstep Switch On! as a way to help residents of the borough to get festive and create their own mini switch on moments safely at home before counting down to the virtual light switch on. #LightUpRedcar.
There are lots of ways Redcar & Cleveland residents and families can participate with The Great Doorstep Switch On from the comfort of their homes;
- Download and follow the Great Doorstep Switch On Guide: A timetable of activities to follow 4pm-7.30pm to get celebrate and get festive.
- If you are a school or a community group, there are also separate downloadable Great Doorstep Switch On Guides
- Download, decorate and add some sparkle to the Light bulb craft sheet to hang and twinkle in your windows.
- Follow the tutorial and make your own light filled lantern to light up your room ahead of the light switch on.
- Ray & Flash, created by Pif-Paf Theatre, will be travelling around the borough collecting enough light bulb power to make our magical Christmas lights glow! Look out for the giant glittering bulb, listen for the music and keep your eyes peeled.
- From 4pm, keep checking back in on @enjoyredcarcleveland Facebook page as snippets of Ray & Flash will be shared across the evening and some other light filled surprises too!
- Make sure your Christmas lights are up and ready to switch on at 7pm whilst watching The Great Doorstep Switch On Countdown via @enjoyredcarcleveland Facebook page.
Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council would love you to share your photos, lightbulb and lantern creations when taking part in The Great Doorstep Switch On using the hashtag #LightUpRedcar across social media.
Please remember to follow social distancing rules and local restrictions at all times.
For more information and to participate in The Great Doorstep Switch On! On Thursday 3 December, 4pm-7.30pm visit: www.redcarcleveland.co.uk/