28 June 1884: The tramway opened to the public. Built by Tangyes Engineering Company, it remains today the oldest water-balanced cliff funicular still in operation in Great Britain and the second oldest in the world.
1924: The gas engine was replaced with a 20 horse power electric pump
1955: The carriage bodies were replaced without stained glass windows
1987: An emergency safety stop function was fitted
1989/90: The carriage overlooking Marske was rebuilt over winter following an accident when lowering the carriages for the winter period.
1990: The bottom tank was emptied and the foot valve and pump was reconditioned.
1991: The stained glass windows were reinstated to the carriages by Saltburn artist Chloe Buck.
1998: A sheaf/winding wheel was replaced and a hydraulic brake system was installed by Skelton Engineering.
2002: The tramways, pump motor were rewound by Dowling & Mills of Middlesbrough.
2005: Feature lighting was fitted to the track.
2007: A new water pipeline was fitted.
2009: The underneath plates of the carriage overlooking Saltburn were taken off and refurbished.
2010/11: Restoration work was carried out to the Tramway at a cost of £30,000.
2015: The bottom station docking area was restored.
2017/18: The Tramway closed for major refurbishment. Work included new railway sleepers and rails, scotch timbers, lifelines and escape route, carriages refurbishments, band brake, and safer access to winding chamber, water pipe and new fence at the top station.
2018: The Tramway reopened in August .