Excitement is building across Redcar and Cleveland as plans are put in place to join the rest of the UK in celebrating the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee, a phenomenal 70 years on the throne serving her country.
An all-year programme of events across the UK and Commonwealth will culminate with the Platinum Jubilee Weekend, which takes place across an extended four-day bank holiday weekend from Thursday 2 June to Sunday 5 June.
This special weekend provides communities across Redcar and Cleveland with the opportunity to come together and celebrate this once in a lifetime historical moment. Whether you’re a resident, community group, school or sports club, there are so many ways to take part or get involved.
Here is just a flavour of what we have to look forward to in Redcar and Cleveland:
– Jubilee picnic, family craft activities and garden games – the public are welcome to come along to the Kirkleatham Museum and Grounds between 10.00am – 4.00 pm from the 2 – 5 June.
– Town Crier official declaration at the Redcar Beacon to announce the lighting for the Jubilee – 2.00pm on 2 June.
– Lighting of the Skinningrove beacon – lighting time 9.45pm on 2 June.
– East Cleveland big jubilee festival – why not come along to Skinningrove jetty between 8.00am – 5.00pm on Saturday, 4 June where villages across East Cleveland come together to provide exhibitions and activities. The event will also include a ‘dance spectacular’ on the jetty.
– Loftus platinum jubilee parade – a celebratory parade of cadets and other young people and uniformed organisations followed by a church parade service of thanksgiving – 10.30am-11.30am on 4 June.
– Platinum picnic in the park – you are invited to a royal fun filled day to remember at Zetland park, Redcar between 12noon – 6.00pm on Sunday, 5 June. A free day of live music, storytelling, performance, creative activities, foodie pop ups and community celebration is available to mark the Queen’s jubilee. The day is fit for a Queen – just drop in and bring your picnics and the entertainment and party atmosphere will be provided.
– Chaloner Street, Special Jubilee Market, Guisborough – a special jubilee themed market organised by Friends of Chaloner Street Market will take place between 10.00am – 3.00pm on Sunday, 5 June.
Many local communities have also come together to arrange community events ranging from street parties to scarecrow festival across the borough so please keep an eye out in your local area for any activities organised. We would urge you to support them and enjoy everything they have to offer.
If you are unable to get out and about or would just prefer to join in the celebrations at home, you’re in for a treat as most of the official celebrations will be televised over the weekend for you to enjoy and feel part of the celebrations.
The Mayor of Redcar and Cleveland, Cllr Carole Morgan, said:
“It’s great to see the excitement building across our communities as they plan to come together in true Redcar and Cleveland style to share this once in a lifetime moment in history.
“There are so many community events, street parties and activities being organised across the borough there really is something for everyone to enjoy as part of the celebrations.
“From parades to picnic in the park or your local street party it is a great opportunity for the people of the borough to get together and celebrate – as always, our communities are doing us proud and really are the jewels in our crown and I would like to wish them all a memorable weekend celebrating this once in a lifetime occasion.”
To keep up to date with what’s happening across the area visit www.redcar-cleveland.gov.uk