Excitement builds for the borough’s first ever Great Doorstep Christmas Lights Switch On! Public asked to get ready and switch on their home lights at the same time
EXCITEMENT is building as the borough’s first ever Great Doorstep Switch On! approaches.
The Great Doorstop Switch On – Celebration of Illumination event encourages families across the area to first get creative with those lights and decorations with our guide, tune in to our online events – and then switch on their festive lights at exactly the same time.
Log on to www.redcarcleveland.co.uk/enjoy/christmas for fun activities and videos and keep checking back on the @enjoyredcarcleveland Facebook page on Thursday, 3 December, from 4pm to 7.30pm to join in the fun – with the lights switch on at 7pm.
The fun stay-at-home festive celebration will replace the traditional in person Christmas light switch on.
And some lucky residents will have the chance to see a travelling light show, created by Pif-Paf Theatre which will travel the streets of the borough for people to enjoy from their doorsteps and windows. Look out for the giant glittering bulb, listen for the music and keep your eyes peeled.
There are lots of ways Redcar & Cleveland residents and families can participate with The Great Doorstep Switch On from the comfort of their homes;
- Download and follow the Great Doorstep Switch On Guide: A timetable of activities to follow 4pm-7.30pm to get celebrate and get festive.
- If you are a school or a community group, there are also separate downloadable Great Doorstep Switch On Guides
- Download, decorate and add some sparkle to the Light bulb craft sheet to hang and twinkle in your windows.
- Follow the tutorial and make your own light filled lantern to light up your room ahead of the light switch on.
- Ray & Flash, created by Pif-Paf Theatre, will be travelling around the borough collecting enough light bulb power to make our magical Christmas lights glow! Look out for the giant glittering bulb.
- From 4pm, keep checking back in on @enjoyredcarcleveland Facebook page as snippets of Ray & Flash will be shared across the evening and some other light filled surprises too!
- Make sure your Christmas lights are up and ready to switch on at 7pm whilst watching The Great Doorstep Switch On Countdown via @enjoyredcarcleveland Facebook page.
Mayor of Redcar and Cleveland, Councillor Carole Morgan, said: “This a wonderful way people can feel part of our wonderful community from their own doorsteps. It’s been lovely to read on social media about how so many families are getting involved – and there’s still time for you and your family to take part too. There’s a real determination out there that we’re not going to let the pandemic stop us getting in the Christmas spirit. Get to our shops which open from today and take part this wonderful event have fun, and stay safe at the same time.”
Redcar & Cleveland Borough Council would love you to share your photos, lightbulb and lantern creations when taking part in The Great Doorstep Switch On using the hashtag #LightUpRedcarandCleveland across social media.
Please remember to follow social distancing rules and local restrictions at all times.
For more information and to participate in The Great Doorstep Switch On! On Thursday 3 December, 4pm-7.30pm visit: www.redcarcleveland.co.uk/enjoy/christmas